Optimal medical therapy in patients with heart disease or at risk of heart disease is described in the COURAGE trial by the following targets. In this trial, this was linked with optimal outcomes in heart disease patients.
1. systolic blood pressure < 130 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure < 85 mmHg (80 mmHg if diabetic)
2. LDL (bad cholesterol)< 85 mg/dl
3. HDL (good cholesterol) > 40 mg/dl
4. Triglycerides < 150 mg/dl
5. Fasting glucose < 126 mg/dl
6. No smoking
7. Body Mass Index < 25 kg/m2 (this is essentially a ratio of the weight to height)
8. Exercise > 3 days per week
9. Aspirin use in those with heart disease
How many of of you meet the “optimal” benchmark?